To retire on custom built luxury island
The ability to escape to your own private island isn’t a new fantasy, but it’s now available in ways we never dreamed possible.
My retirement dream is to live in controlled isolation, where I choose who to be near, on a private floating island, either man-made (using a barge as a base), or existing island, on the eastern side of the Philippines or in the gulf of Thailand, protected from typhoons, within a bay, but still nearby supply shops and fine dining.
IF on land, potentially to double as a B&B or ultra luxury boutique resort. In either case, the ultra luxury and high tech home to be self-contained and self-sustaining, with its own power (solar & wind) source, salt water treatment facility, rain catchment, sewage treatment, broadband internet all within a natural setting, on, or attached, to the water with relatively close access to shopping by boat.
My concept designs below indicate the renovation of barge or small ship, to establish a floating private island in a theatrical way.
- The palm trees are actually steel columns, concealing solar power, rain water catchment, satellite internet, radar and GPS systems. The astro turf leading down to natural sand provides for both look and air lock between living quarters and outdoors, to assist heat/air control blanketing. The island maintains boat dock for guests and incidental island shopping.
- Within the core steel structure above water level and under the astro turf “hill” is a 3-bedroom, 2 bathroom home with spacious living and dining area leading to a huge covered patio and sandy beach, along with a gourmet kitchen with large pantry, cold & frozen storage. The master bedroom also contains a large walk-in wardrobe with private patio leading to pool. Additionally, above water line is a large office and supply storage room, swimming pool and adjoining hot tub.
- Below water line, with the hull, the structure contains carefully engineered electrical, communication, solar battery systems, along with water de-salinization plant, fresh water supply, rain water storage, sewage treatment plant, long term storage, and turbine engines for mobility.
- The island can be moved during typhoon seasons accordingly. To conform to local regulations in the Philippines, the moveable island requires a designated “captain”, so there are also crew quarters, bathroom and living space for the captain and the season part time crew supporting the captain for the manual moves and maintenance. The ships bridge (to navigate, control & operate the ship) is located above the office, within the grassy knoll at the bow of the ship.
Examples of some Private Island homes I like
East Sister Rock, Marathon, FL
This island property in Hawk Channel off the coast of Marathon, Florida is the definition of “living off the grid.” Sitting ¼ mile off the coast, the 1.37-acre island is completely self-sufficient, with solar panels and wind energy; and a backup generator just in case. Island surrounded by moat with boat docks. The single family main house has wrap around porch/deck under roof, 10′ ceilings, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, pine floors, fireplace, granite & stainless kitchen. To get on and off the island, residents have their choice of air (via private helipad), or sea (via moat with boat docks). About USD $9 million.
An Austrian yachting company has already brought to life my dream concept of a moveable island — their Orsos Island yacht is very similar in concept to my dream. Ranging in price from about USD $3 million (used) to between USD $4.5 – $9 million fully featured, they have produced many of these.
The Island is exceedingly environmentally friendly and self-sustaining, leaving no lasting impact on nature. The Island uses a steel hull and aluminium topsides providing durability to a naturally low centre of gravity. Powered primarily 24/7 by a noiseless wind energy system, as well as more than 160 m² of solar panels making the most use of daylight. Heat recovery from sea water is the basis for heating and air conditioning. Excess energy is distributed to various batteries, used in the treatment of salt water to make drinking water with a fresh water capacity of 3,170 US Gallons (12,000 Liter). An intelligent computer system monitors and controls the entire energy management process. In order to guarantee the maintenance of the power supply and security in times of high energy consumption or poor weather conditions, it is equipped with two diesel engines. 2 X 30 kw generators with 1,585 U.S. Gallons (6,000 Liter) fuel capacity
Each Island is custom made and is over 20m wide and more than 37m in length, with a spacious layout – the Island offers up to 1,000 m² of living space over 3 decks with the following basics, each customizable:
- Spacious living room
- Separate lounge & KTV
- 6 large 20m² state rooms each with ensuite bathrooms with tropical shower & vacuum toilets.
- Separate accommodations for staff
- an office
- guest toilet
- BBQ buffet
- bar area
- A sun shaded lounge area
- large Jacuzzi
- large main kitchen with pantry facilities as well as refrigeration units.
- a laundry
- a small workshop for minor repairs and maintenance of equipment
- mooring for motor boats / tenders
- hatch for loading and unloading of provisions.
Other Private Island Examples